••can ye pass the acid test?••

ye who enter here be afraid, but do what ye must -- to defeat your fear ye must defy it.

& defeat it ye must, for only then can we begin to realize liberty & justice for all.

time bomb tick tock? nervous tic talk? war on war?

or just a blog crying in the wilderness, trying to make sense of it all, terror-fried by hate radio and FOX, the number of whose name is 666??? (coincidence?)

Thursday, April 06, 2006

nice, simple solution

just open the border to our neighbors: mexicans and canadians should be able to enter this country any time, so long as they're not armed nor criminals nor carrying contagious disease, so check them and admit them, and they'll have no motive to sneak in.

if they want to work here, they have to get minimum wage and pay social security taxes &c, so crack down on sweatshops and other substandard employers. make green cards easily available to anybody who can get a job.

and raise the minimum wage, so americans and immigrants can make a living at those jobs, and low-paid immigrants won't take jobs from citizens or pull wage rates down.

2 comments:

  1. I'm Canadian, and i lived in MA working at a psychiatric residential facility for teenagers. They paid like 11 bucks an hour, but the standard of living and taxation in MA is relatively low.

    I paid social security...I paid taxes, I paid everything that you did...but I needed a ridiculous amount of qualifications to even be considered for a job in the states. My boss, on the other hand, was 20 years old...and had only ever gone to highschool...

    That used to piss me off about that place. Sure I made more than the americans did, but I had graduated university with TWO undergraduate degrees. And although I had to pay all those taxes, and those sorts of things, I was just another "immigrant" coming to take an americans job.

    I hated how people segregated the group of us that went down there, and treated us like shit...made us feel very unwelcome for a long time...The only thing I could say, was that if the people in yur country were more qualified,or not so lazy, then maybe employers wouldnt have to go to other countries to find more people to fill their jobs.

    ReplyDelete