Friday, March 30, 2012
Saturday, March 24, 2012
Some 50,000 people have been killed in drug-related violence since 2006 and the Church has been accused of failing to speak out over the fighting.
"The Church has had an ambivalent response to the drug war and the incredible amount of violence going on in the country," says John Ackerman, Professor of Law at the Autonomous University in Mexico City.
Since the Christian Democrats came to power in 2000, the constitutionally separate relationship between the Catholic Church and the government has been progressively narrowing.
He says Pope Benedict will find in Mexico a clergy deeply divided over its position on the fighting.
"The general impression is that those Church leaders who have spoken out against violence and in favour of a change in policy have all been relatively low-level leaders. The one exception is Bishop Raul Vera," says Professor Ackerman.
Bishop Vera is a silver-haired, balding priest who is quick to laughter, but equally quick to criticise.
"The president's war against drug trafficking seems to us to be more of a war against the people than a war against the cartels," he says, stabbing his finger in the air.
"The cartels have multiplied, the number of dead has risen exponentially, corruption is deeper every day - we see it. So when we hear the president of the Republic saying his strategy is working, we think he's either in an ivory tower and has no idea what's actually going on, or basically he's a liar. I'm going with the latter!"
But his anger is not just reserved for the state. He is equally critical of some of his colleagues in the Catholic Church.
One of the most serious charges against the Church is that there are some parishes that have actually profited from the drug violence in the form of donations from drug barons or cartels.
"We have to be very careful about who we accept donations from, particularly to fund structures of the Church. Very careful indeed," says Bishop Vera.
It is alleged that drug money has swelled the coffers in parishes where the drug lords exert control.
"There was once a rather embarrassing bishop who said something absurd," remembers Bishop Vera. "He said that money from drug trafficking was purified when it entered the Church. Of course it's not! The money from drugs is intrinsically stained with blood and we can't use it. We mustn't." [more]
Saturday, March 17, 2012
bayard rustin's 100th birthdayone of the greats!
Bayard Rustin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.orgBayard Rustin (March 17, 1912 – August 24, 1987) was an American leader in social movements for civil rights, socialism, pacifism and non-violence, and gay rights. "Bayard" is pronounced to rhyme with hired.
jim crow redux
pennsylvania is now the 32nd state to pass a voter ID law. it amounts to a de facto poll tax, since eligible voters with no acceptable proof of identity or residence must spend money to obtain such proof. a study at NYU law school indicated that "11% of voting-age American citizens—and an even greater percentage of African American, low-income, and older citizens—do not have current and valid government-issued photo IDs." poll taxes were made unconstitutional in 1964.
the state has had two jim crow laws before. the first, passed in 1869, prohibited black children from attending school in pittsburgh. the 2nd, in 1956, required adoption applicants to state their race.
Sunday, March 11, 2012
read these friday at big blue marble:
my muse,how could you
walk out on me this way?
didn't i treat you right?
i gave you
everything i had
i lied for you
stole for you
killed for you
died for you
from time to time
i chased another muse
i always loved you best
& came back to you for more
give me one more chance,o muse
& i'll crush whole worlds for you
steer my winged steed beyond the stars
that spin in spiral streams
& in the empty reaches there
where no mind has gone before
weave elastic webs of cosmic silk
stretched around the formless dust
& with my diamond blade
carve living shapes of unknown kind
make nature take new laws
let me show you
what those other muses
NULL & VOID
i'm sik o ur fkng INsights
opn ur EYES
u talk o my rationlzations n dnial
u tel me 2 stop being chroncly angry
2 actulize n lrn 2 njoy life
opn ur EYES
wrld tears tself apart aroun u
while u talk o qualty time n undrlying processes
opn ur EYES
tru ntmacy?bondng?selfesteem?meaningfl change?sht
opn ur EYES
rth's blak blud gushes up spews out fiery crakly flame
while u poztvly ngage one tng @ a time
appropriatly xpressng reality n a modrat way
opn ur EYES
dfensv egos?ovrreactng?lightn up?WHAT?
opn ur EYES
ur nsecure felo creatures try 2 b men lose humanty rape
kil mutilate each othr suk out wrld's lifeblud torture
anmls fil air wt smoke gases fumes poizn watr salt n
fresh alike make groun unlivbl 4 sake o gain profit powr
opn ur EYES
very air eats ur lungs
sunlight eats ur skin
bcz o greed
greed ignrance aggression
pain fear loss
brth life deth
etrnl bowel movmnt o da univrs
4get wht i sd
keep ur eyes clozd
Conservative Political Spectrum What Type of Conservative Are You?If you've taken the Conservative Identity Quiz, this list of Conservative Breeds will help you see how you compare to other conservatives.
• Flag-Waving Everymen, also known as patriots— believe in championing liberty over tyranny, apple pie over sushi, and that God gave us a two-day weekend so we could enjoy football and NASCAR.
• Free Marketeers, also known as a fiscal conservative—believe in free-market capitalism, tax cuts, and protecting your hard-earned cash from pick-pocketing liberal socialists.
• Faith-Based Fighters, also known as religious conservatives— believe in Judeo-Christian values, restoring God's rightful place in the public square, and in showing all the unwashed and unsaved liberal sinners the path to salvation, or at least to the GOP.
• Values Guardians, also known as cultural conservatives—believe in protecting the American way of life and fighting a culture war against liberal moonbats and the lapdogs in the lamestream media who are out to destroy decent, moral Americans like Sarah Palin for daring to defend traditional values.
• Anti-government Gunslingers, also known as libertarian conservatives or Tea Partiers—believe in smaller government, states' rights, gun rights, and that, as Reagan once said, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"
• Freedom Crusaders, also known as neoconservatives—believe in taking the fight directly to the enemy, whether it's terrorists abroad or the liberal terrorist appeasers at home who give them aid and comfort.
Liberal Political Spectrum What Type of Liberal Are You?If you've taken the Liberal Identity Quiz, this list of Liberal Breeds will help you see how you compare to other liberals.
• Eco-Avengers, also known as environmentalists or tree huggers—believe in saving the planet from the clutches of air-fouling, oil-drilling, earth-raping conservative fossil fools.
• Social Justice Crusaders, also known as rights activists—believe in equality, fairness, and preventing neo-Confederate conservative troglodytes from rolling back fifty years of civil rights gains.
• Peace Patrollers, also known as anti-war liberals or neo-hippies—believe in putting an end to American imperial conquest, stopping wars that have already been lost, and supporting our troops by bringing them home.
• Working Class Warriors, also known as blue-collar Democrats—believe that the little guy is getting screwed by conservative greed-mongers and corporate criminals, and you’re not going to take it anymore.
• Reality-Based Intellectualists, also known as the liberal elite—are proud members of what’s known as the reality-based community, where science, reason, and non-Jesus-centric thought reign supreme.
• New Left Hipsters, also known as MoveOn.org liberals, Netroots activists, or Daily Show fanatics—believe that if we really want to defend American values, conservative hatriots must be exposed and mocked for every fanatical, puritanical, paranoid, fact-allergic, reality-challenged, obstructionist ideal for which they stand.